London is a global financial centre and it is no surprise that many students wishing to work in finance come to study in London. The finance sector offers a wealth of internship opportunities and part-time jobs.
Best degree to get into finance
According to City AM, the salary benchmarking site Emolument.com has identified the 6 most common degrees held by London bankers.
Accounting, business and finance degrees are most common with 34 per cent of bankers in London holding a degree in this subject area. However, there are also bankers with degrees in subjects such as engineering and computer sciences.
Top 6 degree subjects amongst finance professionals in London
- Accounting, business, finance (34% of finance workers)
- Economics: (24% of finance workers)
- Maths & statistics: (11% of finance workers)
- Engineering: (10% of finance workers)
- Chemistry: (4% of finance workers)
- Computer sciences: (3% of finance workers)
(Source: City AM)
Best paying degrees in the finance sector
While a degree in accounting, business and finance may be an obvious choice if you want to work in the finance sector, the research by Emolument.com shows that salaries are higher for finance directors with other degrees.
Best paying degree subjects among banking directors in London
- Maths & statistics: £398,000
- Computer science: £329,000
- Economics: £322,000
- Chemistry & science: £316,000
- Engineering: £308,000
- History: £294,000
- Accounting, business & finance: £265,000
(Source: City AM)
The research shows that there are many different degrees which can lead to a career in finance. Use the course search to find the perfect course for you.
You can also find information on the best universities for particular subjects in the Subject Guide section.