London universities welcome international qualifications


Every year, over 100,000 international students make London their home while they study for a bachelor, master or PhD degree. London is the most popular student city in the world and 45 universities offer students a choice of over 30,000 courses.

When you make an application to a London university, this will be reviewed by the admissions team at the university. Admissions teams are very experienced in assessing a wide range of qualifications. They normally use qualification guidelines provided by UK NARIC, the UK’s National Agency responsible for providing information on academic, vocational and professional qualifications from across the world.

International School Qualifications

There are a number of school qualifications that are accepted for direct entry into a UK undergraduate degree. The most common qualifications which are taught around the world include A-levels, the International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placements. Many universities also accept the school leaver qualifications from across the European Union, India and from some African countries which have similar education systems to the UK.

If your high school qualification is not regarded as equivalent to the above, you may be asked to complete a one-year foundation course. Many universities offer foundation courses or work with external foundation course providers. Normally, if you do well and achieve good grades in your foundation course, you will be guaranteed a place on an undergraduate course at the same university. Other UK universities may also accept you based on the foundation course.

International University Qualifications

If you are currently studying at a university overseas, or have already completed your first degree, you can apply for a masters or PhD degree in the UK. Universities set different entry requirements for their courses, which are normally based on the ‘Grade Point Average’ (GPA) scale, for example 3.0/4 or 3.9/5.

Do not worry if the grading at your university is different. As long as you can provide a transcript for your studies, the admissions staff will be able to compare your grades to the UK qualifications.

Entry Requirements

Entry requirements are set by each university and therefore they can vary from one university to the other. You can find a guide to the entry requirements for students from a number of different countries in our Your Country section. For course or university specific entry requirements, please register with us to contact the university directly.

55 comments on “London universities welcome international qualifications

  1. i am apply study visa.

  2. Study London says:

    i am apply study vise

  3. mwiru says:

    how will you assist me to get a visa?

  4. mwiru says:

    is there any scholarship for this summer course?

    • Study London says:

      Hello, some universities offer scholarships and discounts on their summer school courses. If this is the case, the funding options will be listed on the universities’ individual websites. You can click through the links above to search for the information.

  5. mwiru says:

    i’m I allowed to apply for masters using my fifth provisional result of my university?

    • Study London says:

      Hello, you can apply for a masters with your provisional results. If you are accepted, the university will give you a ‘conditional offer’, which will list the conditions that you must meet to confirm your place e.g. your final degree result and English language requirements. You must submit your final results before you can apply for a Tier 4 visa which is required to study in the UK.

  6. Emmanuel Francisco says:

    I’m from a francophone country but studied english in the national university.Do I have any chance?

    • Study London says:

      Hi Emmanuel, that’s no problem. Your chosen university will ask you to take an English language test to confirm your level of English. If you have already taken a Bachelor degree and all your teaching and assessment took place in English, this may also be acceptable as proof of your English language skills. You can apply to UK universities without any English language certificate and, if it is required, the university will ask you for it.

  7. Mariam says:

    will want to apply how do i start?

  8. Bukola says:

    Hello! i am a Nigerian living in spain. i have a Nigerian senior school certificate. How may i apply if i want to study in the UK. Looking forward to an early reply. THANKS.

  9. Irene Odame says:

    Please can I apply with 2.40 for Masters

    • Study London says:

      Hi Irene, entry requirements vary for each university so you will need to check on the universities’ websites for exact information. If you cannot find a suitable masters, you may need to take a diploma degree first.

  10. Douglas says:

    Hi am from zimbabwe ,i graduated with a bachelor of arts degree from the university of zambia and i would like to study for a masters program.what are my chances?

    • Study London says:

      Hi Douglas, universities accept degree qualifications from all around the world. Whether you would be accepted for a masters in the UK depends on the course you want to study and on the grades you achieved. I would suggest you start by using the course search to find a course and university you like. You can then contact the university for more information.

  11. Aissam says:

    Hello, the time didn’t help answer the the questions. Thus, I failed it was a bit hard my question is do all the english universites riquire the TOEFL certificate?.

    • Study London says:

      Hello Aissam, if you are from a non-English speaking country then you will be asked to provide proof of your English language skills. All UK universities will require this. There are a number of English language tests that you can take though. Please note that as of 6 April 2014, TOEFL is no longer accepted by the UK Home Office as proof of your English language. Thus, it is advisable to choose a test which is on the approved list of English language test providers provided by the UK Home Office. The TOEFL test may still be accepted by universities to meet the academic entry requirements, but you cannot use it to apply for the Tier 4 student visa.

      • Aissam says:

        Hi, thank you for your reply. What do you mean by TOEFL is no longer accepted ? is there another english test? if that so. Where do I have to take it ? at the English consulate in Morocco?. Thank you for your useful information looking forward to hearing from you soon.

        • Study London says:

          Yes, there are a number of other English tests that you can take. IELTS is a very popular English language test which you can take at the British Council in Morocco. This test is accepted by all UK universities and also by the UK Home Office for visa application purposes.

  12. Oladipo Folarin says:

    Will i be admitted to any university for masters programme with a HND upper division?

    • Study London says:

      Hello, unfortunately there is no easy answer for your question as the entry requirements vary for different universities. Some may accept you for the masters, others may suggest you take a ‘top-up’ degree which raises your HND to a Bachelor degree. I would suggest you use the course search to identify which masters course you would be interested in and then contact the universities directly for more specific advice.

  13. Elhaitham Allal says:

    I heard about this summer school, i always wanted to visit Uk for study purpose, hw can i join your school?

  14. uarda says:

    I am just graduated with a MSC degree in Public Health,at Medical University of Tirana,Tirana,Albania.I am very interesed in taking another MSc in the field of Epidemiology in UK,in order to build my profesional capacity.I would be very grateful to you,if you could take me any information about schoolarships or fellowships in UK…
    Looking forward ror your response


  15. fatima says:

    Which courses are eligible for those who have done 2 years bachelor?
    I have done 2 year bachelor.

    • Study London says:

      Hello Fatima, for students with a 2 year bachelor degree, universities will normally ask you to complete a ‘top-up’ degree which will bring your qualification up to a UK Bachelor degree. After this, you can apply for a masters degree. However, universities have different entry requirements so it is best to check with your chosen university directly.

  16. chybels says:

    I’♍ from nigeria wants to do my masters in new your film academy. ЂøƜ do i apply?

  17. salsabela ahmad says:

    aoa,,i want to get admission in mphil in sociology plz guide me for visa,,thnx

  18. Lyana says:

    Hi. Is there any available scholarship/grants/loans for students who already obtain their first degree (international) and got GPA 2.8/4.0 ? Thanks.

  19. Cosmin Dori says:

    Hello, I’m student from Romania, and I’m curently study engineering – mechatronics and robotics. Is there any chance to study something similar in UK?

  20. Excellence Imuwahen says:

    I sincerely appreciate this educating information you provide here. Thank you!I sincerely appreciate this educating information you provide here. Thank you! Please I wish to know how to apply to the University of London to do my masters in English or mass communication courses. And how possible that could also be, seeing I have my first degree in Law, Nigeria. I expect your candid response. I wouldn’t mind if you forward it to my email. Thank you once more.

    • Study London says:

      Hello, there are almost 3,000 Nigerian students currently studying in London across a number of different subject areas. Many universities allow you to change your subject focus at masters level as long as you can explain your interest and knowledge of the subject in your application letter. You can use the course search to find suitable masters courses in English or Mass Communications. For application advice and guidance on entry requirements, please read through our application advice for Nigerian students.

  21. Dildora says:

    Hello! I’m 16 years old and this year I’m leaving school. I’m from Uzbekistan. here after school we go to colleges or lyceums. can I apply for any summer schools and scholarships?

  22. Hello there! Where can I find the courses for this summer program? I shortlisted 3 universities before and I want to apply for summer scholarship program if there’s any. Thanks!

  23. Tamirat says:

    hello,i have Bsc in public health from one of my country college,i want to continue my MPH in Human nutrition or Bsc in human nutrition,so how i can apply? i am from Ethiopia

  24. Diyor Keldiyorov says:

    Hi, I’m from Uzbekistan. i would like to know whether all can apply for this,i mean i need undergraduate degree. for this, i have ielts 5.5, and last year i’ve graduated mu full 12 year study with honour certificate.and i am really into cources like business management and finance please give me futher information about that

    • Study London says:

      Hello Diyor, with your school leaving certificate from Uzbekistan you will need to apply for a Foundation course first. Most universities offer foundation courses to help you achieve the required academic level for an undergraduate (bachelor) degree. You can use the course search to find bachelor courses in business management and finance and then use the ‘contact’ button to contact the university directly for more information about which foundation course you need to take.

  25. SUMIT MAJUMDER says:

    Hello, I’m student from India. I have completed in physics (2011) and M.Tech in advanced materials science and technology (2013). Now doing Ph.D in physics on “synthesis, characterization, various properties (structural,optical,magnetic,electrochemical impedance,cyclic-voltmetry,and hyperfine) and applications of different structured nanocomposites”. Is there any chance to study something similar in UK?

    • Study London says:

      Hello Sumit, you can use the course search to find any relevant courses in your field of study which are being offered in London. If you require more information, you can use the ‘contact’ button on the course listing to contact the universities directly.

  26. Godspower says:

    I am a Nigerian, i have national diploma in engineering. what is my chance?

    • Study London says:

      Hello, this depends on what you want to study in the UK? If you are looking to do a masters, you may be asked to complete a top-up course to increase your diploma qualification to a bachelor degree before progressing on to a masters. You can review all the London universities here and then contact your chosen university directly to enquire about their specific entry requirements.

  27. Richard says:

    im a level 200 student at the Ghana technology university college offering business administration currently and I want to apply next summer … how do I go about it and what are the necessary requirements?

Search Courses

Course Type:

Advanced Search

Register to download our free Study in London guidebook.

Register now ×