New Scholarship Scheme for Students from Hong Kong

hk scholarship

Hong Kong’s Education Bureau has announced a scholarship scheme worth HK$347,965,000 (US$44.86m) that will provide 100 students with full tuition scholarships to study at world renowned universities. Students in receipt of the scholarships will be expected to return to work in Hong Kong after graduating.

The scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit, but priority will be given to students who would not otherwise be able to afford overseas study. Students who choose to take up subjects that will benefit Hong Kong’s economy or those not available domestically will also be at an advantage.

The Scholarship for Excellence will cover tuition fees for the normal duration of an undergraduate programme, or two years of postgraduate study. Scholars may study at any university that appears in the top 100 of any of the four major global academic rankings: QS World University Ranking, Shanghai Jiaotong University Ranking, Times Higher Education World University Ranking and US News and World Report.

London universities in the top 100

The following London universities are ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the major global academic rankings:

Imperial College London 

Imperial is consistently rated among the world’s best universities and has a reputation for teaching and research in science, engineering, medicine and management. In the 2014 QS World University Rankings, Imperial College London was ranked 2nd best university in the world. Read more about Imperial College London and search for courses.

University College London (UCL) 

Described by the Sunday Times as “an intellectual powerhouse with a world-class reputation”, UCL is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the UK and worldwide. In the 2014 QS World University Rankings, UCL was ranked as the 5th best university in the world. Read more about University College London and search for courses.

King’s College London 

King’s is one of the world’s leading research and teaching universities based in the heart of London. King’s ranked 16th in the 2014 QS World University Rankings and is one of the most popular study destinations for international students. Read more about King’s College London and search for courses.

London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)   

LSE is a specialist university with a global reach. LSE frequently appears in the top reaches of international and national league tables. In the 2014 QS World University Rankings, LSE was ranked 71st best university in the world. Read more about the LSE and search for courses.

London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine 

The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is a leading postgraduate medical institution that specialises in teaching and research in public health and tropical medicine. LSHTM ranked in the top 100 of the US News and World Report Rankings. Read more about LSHTM and search for courses.

Queen Mary University of London 

Queen Mary University of London is one of the UK’s leading research-focused higher education institutions. The university was ranked in the top 100 best universities in the 2014 QS World University Rankings. Read more about Queen Mary University of London and search for courses.

14 comments on “New Scholarship Scheme for Students from Hong Kong

  1. Pidiwèna PASSIMSIWE says:

    i need simply to have an a good education that’s why i apply for.

  2. shahid says:

    how can i apply for scholarship in master level programme i belong from pakistan

  3. hessie says:


    I have completed my postgraduate course early and i Stiller have my visa till december. My question is that:

    Can i enrol to a University now or next month to take Masteral degree or do i need to wait for my visa to expire?

    Please answer me. Thank you very much.

    • Study London says:

      Hello, you can apply for a new course now before your current visa expires. Once you have your new CAS number from the university, you will need to apply for a new Tier 4 visa.

      • hessie says:


        following my question do I need a letter from the previous institution for me to enrol in a university because I didn’t received the award certificate or diploma yet.but I completed my course already.

        thank you once again

        • Study London says:

          Hi, usually your new university will want to see your final transcript and certificate before they can issue a CAS number. Please check with the university you want to apply to what exactly they need from you.

          • hessie says:


            Thank you so much for answering my query patiently..i will do your advice to check with the university with regards to the requirements.

          • hessie says:

            Hi, following my questions
            Because i xompleted my course already at early time
            Will it Not affect my application to ukvi if i renew my visa 7months early? Because my visa expires december 2015. I would like to enrol now but im worries that it might affect the application.

            Thank you so much

  4. tania keza says:

    excelence in education

  5. koitilo Samuel says:

    I want scholarship from you and I want to study automobile engineering

  6. aljylimohmmedibrahim says:

    thank you for all

  7. John Hayford Fiifi-Mensah says:

    I have completed my undergraduate programme and I need a admission and scholarship to further my education please what should I do and a way forward.

Search Courses

Course Type:

Advanced Search

Register to download our free Study in London guidebook.

Register now ×