Working in the UK during and after your studies


Working part-time while studying can help pay for your living costs and it also looks great on your CV. And if you are hoping to stay in the UK after you graduate, work experience will help you get the all-important job offer you need.

The Tier 4 (General) visa for students will allow you to work part-time during term time and full-time during vacation periods. You can contact your chosen university to find out about their vacation periods. If you do not require a visa to study in the UK (e.g. European citizens), there are no restrictions on the number of hours you can work.

Part-time work & internships

London university degrees are recognised by companies around the world and the city’s universities have great links with multinational companies that no other city can offer.

UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) has recently announced the launch of a new scheme which aims to link international postgraduate students to UK businesses looking to export their products or services overseas. The ‘Postgraduates for International Business’ scheme aims to help UK firms recruit students who will help them overcome language and cultural barriers and to break into overseas markets. The work might include making new international business contacts, advising on cultural etiquette and developing international facing websites.

There are thousands of part-time jobs in London which are advertised online and also through the careers service at your university. Internships are also offered by many companies, and can even form an official part of your degree.

Working in the UK after you graduate

For students who want to stay and work in the UK after graduating, the Tier 2 (General) visa is the primary visa route. It is open to recent graduates with a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD from a recognised UK university. Before you apply you must have an offer of a skilled job from a licensed employer and be paid a salary of at least £20,300. For further options, please refer to our work visa guide.

Many companies value the language and cultural skills international graduates bring to their companies, and according to the Financial Times the number of jobs available to graduates in the UK will increase substantially in 2014. There are also more opportunities for first and second year undergraduate students to get paid internships, which often provide opportunities for full-time employment upon graduating.

You can search for courses and contact your chosen university to find out about their careers and internship services.

71 comments on “Working in the UK during and after your studies

  1. ANKIT MEHTA says:

    i am interested

  2. Anna Ali says:

    Must the student by studying at a UK university?

  3. Akrm al hetaer says:

    Master banking and financial

  4. Akram Elachheb says:

    I’m Computer Technicien

  5. noha sami says:

    I want to study in London and work part time ,iam Egyptian so it will easy for me to found this chance

  6. Fahad Mannan says:

    Please suggest me some universities which provide a facility of working during studies

    • Study London says:

      Hello, your Tier 4 student visa will normally allow you to work up to 20 hours per week (although this can vary so check your visa carefully). Most universities employ their own students to work part-time in the departments, student unions or on research projects. Each university has a Careers Centre for students which helps you find a part-time job either at the university or outside of it.

  7. Alex says:

    hello,l would like to work in an aviation in london while am studying in a college.l hold a diploma in cabin crew and l would like to study hospitality.

  8. Shuaibu Yusufu Namaliya says:

    My name is shuaibu and i had made my certifecate of business cooperatives at school of management study Kano Nigeria.

  9. Hawa Jafari says:

    i want to study in UK i really love to come in Uk

  10. Hawa Jafari says:

    yeah after studies i wantto work because no one is here to pay my fee

  11. Tamirat Bekele says:

    hi, i am from Ethiopia and looking for full time scholarship in ‘Health’ or Bsc or Msc in Human nutrition,so can you help me? i can also work as a par time in order to cover my expenses

  12. kapil says:

    my intake is july at bedfordshire university for MS IT i want to work part time can u suggest options

  13. Anchang Charles Gwellem says:

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am honoured to write to you. I hail from Cameroon with two BSc.degrees in the Biomedical Sciences.I am interested in taking a Masters course in any Health or Biomedical discipline(Public health,GEMP, Healthcare,Biomedical Sciences,etc)
    I therefore humbly solicitate information with respect to my eligibility for any of these programs as well as procedure for application.
    I am very ready to provide more details about my academic background.
    I remain very grateful for your kind attention and hope for a favorable response.
    Thank you for understanding,
    Anchang Chrles Gwellem

    • Study London says:

      Hello, you can use the course search to find out which relevant courses in Health and Biomedical Sciences are available in London. For masters courses, you apply directly to the university via the university’s online application form. If you are not sure whether your academic qualifications meet the entry requirements, you can register on our website and contact the universities directly to find out more information. Good luck!

  14. Quintino MWABA says:

    Project Management or theology
    Working during the studies will is quite good for me. I will do just like that,

  15. Pedro Joao Bukuto says:

    I am interested so study in UK and I have applied for several time without success, would you please help me to get a chance of studying there for masters.

  16. Mr kabeya mukuna says:

    I thought I could find where jobs for students are but there is none. I am a full-time student in Hospitality management, i would like a job in similar field which will prepare me and give me more experience.

    • Study London says:

      Hello, depending on where you are studying, your institution may have a Careers Centre which helps students to find suitable part-time work. You should speak to your Student Centre to find out more.

  17. Desalegn Temsgen says:

    I am second year biomedical engineering student how can i get this great chance. I am ready to join in your university and work there.

  18. athar says:

    I have bachelor in civil engineering , I want admission to study master

    • Study London says:

      Hello, you can use the course search to find out which Masters courses are offered in London. You may also wish to read the advice on How to Apply

      • Aftab Ali says:

        I am a degree holder and doing from islamia university bahawal pur. I want to study in london in or after completing I am searching a visa that would allow me work during study so that i may pay my dues so i request u to guide me by email

        • Study London says:

          Hi, in order to study in London you will need to apply for the Tier 4 (General) student visa. This visa will allow you to work for 20 hours per week. However, one of the requirements of the visa is that you have saved enough money to support yourself during the first year of study so you need to show that you have enough money in your bank account. You can find out more information on our Tier 4 visa blog post.

  19. Rahil says:

    I’m really fond of soccer and would want to give a tryout for one of the London’s club while I study for my Bachelors.So can you suggest me some good universities that might help me reach the top.

    • Study London says:

      Hi Rahil, most universities have football (soccer) teams and some play competitively across the country. Unfortunately I don’t have information on these. I would suggest you identify a few universities that offer the course you are interested in and then ask them about their football team.

  20. aissa says:

    Hello i d my bacchlor in Algeria in petroleum production i m looking for an internship here in london in the same field

  21. maha says:

    hello i’m studying law in the second year in lebanon and i want to complete my studies in london and i’m lebanese .

  22. Vangelis Kandounakis says:

    I have a BA (Honours) from the Open University UK (2012) and I would like to know if I could find a job in this field or an internship in London to continue with master studies

    • Study London says:

      Hi Vangelis, if you hold a European passport you can work and study in the UK without restrictions. If you are from outside the EU, you will require a visa to study and work here. There are many work and internship opportunities available in London depending on the industry you want to work in. There are some useful student job websites listed here.

  23. effah francis says:

    how can i come because am in ghana

  24. Bethy John says:

    Please, am a Nigerian, and i want to work and Study in the UK. I just finish my High School. So am looking for an admission into a University in the UK. So am in need of your help. Thank you.

  25. verona howell says:

    hello, i already have a 1st degreen thinking about persuing a masters program i was accepted to do one here in jamaica however i would like to migrate and this sounds interesting ..what are fees like though?

    • Study London says:

      Hello Verona, tuition fees can vary greatly between institutions and they also depend on the course you want to study. The average is around £11,000 per academic year but some specialist courses (e.g. Medicine, Dentistry or MBAs) can be much higher. You can read our advice on Tuition Fees for more information and use the course search to find courses you are interested in and their relevant tuition fee costs.

  26. Sruti says:

    I wish to study Mathematics in England from September 2015. Please May I know if there is any restriction in the amount a student can earn? I am an international student. Thankyou.

    • Study London says:

      Hi Sruti, there is no limit to the amount of money you can earn while working in the UK. However, you can only work part-time during term time, up to 20 hours per week. You will be able to work full-time during your holiday periods. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

  27. Qamar Zaman says:

    salam sir
    i done matric in pakistan. Now i want study in a livel in uk. So tell me can i work deuring study?

    • Study London says:

      Hello, if you want to study in the UK you need to apply for a Tier 4 student visa. This visa will allow you to work part-time during your studies and full-time during your holidays

  28. Maria Abena Edwards says:

    do you have course school because am doing business administration not in university so i want to ask if i can study there

  29. Maria Abena Edwards says:

    please iam in spain schooling and i dont like it

  30. Tufayel says:

    How much pound get a overseas student who works part time during his studies ?

    • Study London says:

      Hello, this really depends on the kind of work you want to do and your employer. The minimum wage you can expect is around £6 an hour (for example for bar and restaurant work). Most universities and other companies offering office based work pay around £9 per hour or more.

    • QUINTINO M says:

      It sounds good and Ian go for it

  31. Edwards , María Abena says:

    please can i school and work in london with spanish certificate?

    • Study London says:

      Hi Maria, have you completed the Título de Bachillerato? This is accepted by all universities in London for entry onto a Bachelor degree. The exact grade requirements vary for each course. If you are a Spanish (or other EU) passport holder, you can work in the UK without restrictions.

  32. Biriya Bangsha Vhante says:

    my name is biriya, i was born in poor country (Bangladesh) But my dream i would like to study in the London, so i would like to get a best job while my abroad study, can you help me please?

    • Study London says:

      Hello Biriya, international students can work in the UK while studying. However, in order to get your visa, you need to show that you have a sufficient amount of money to cover your tuition fees and your living costs for the first year. You can read more about the Tier 4 visa requirements

  33. Alisher says:

    I m going London on student visit visa for six month can I work there during my study and after completed can I stay there for long time…

  34. Alexandra raymond says:

    Am alexandra from nigeria,am studying in a private university here in nigeria pls can I after my studies as a medical lab scientist move to london for my internship?

  35. Alexandra raymond says:

    Pls reply me if after my studies in nigeria can I get to do my internship in london?

  36. Arun pathania says:

    my self arun Pathania and I have completed my in 2014,so am I eligible for england study visa becose I want to complete my masters from London

  37. Jacqueline says:

    Hi there, I am Jacqueline from Malaysia, I am just graduated with MSc Medical Sciences from Newcastle University. Does that make me an international medical graduate(IMG)? As I found out that an IMG can take up a job with the training programme eventhough the cmpany doesnt have a license. Besides that, the salary would be ‎£13,021, and since I am going on a shift routine, so I will get another 7.6% from my salary, so does that make it to meet the threshold which is ‎£20,300? Am I eligible to get the Tier 2 (general) under this situation? Thanks in advance for any replies. Cheers.

    • Study London says:

      Hi Jacqueline, as far as I understand it, an ‘international medical graduate’ is someone who has completed a recognised medicine degree in another country. Therefore, I do not believe you would qualify unless you have already completed a medicine degree in Malaysia. However, please check the GMC website for details and contact the visa advice team at Newcastle University to ensure you have all the relevant information.

Search Courses

Course Type:

Advanced Search

Register to download our free Study in London guidebook.

Register now ×